Monday, August 5, 2013

Rocking Out and Camping Out


Vampire Weekend


Foals

July 26 through 28 I headed to Ansan for the Ansan Valley Rock Festival. It was such an excellent time! I saw so many ridiculously good bands and the weather was quite nice most of the time (though it did rain a bit the last day, but nothing too extreme when I was actually out and about). Every performance I watched was absolutely amazing, but Foals, the XX and Skrillex took the cake for me. In addition to those stellar performers, I also was lucky enough to see Vampire Weekend, FUN., Nine Inch Nails, Yellowcard, the Cure, Coheed & Cambria and some Korean bands. It was a long weekend, but so worth while. 
I stayed at the festival site in a tent. It was nice enough, but the site was pretty much on a marsh and got really foggy at night, so everything was saturated with moisture. All that moisture made for a soggy mess, and there was mud every where you walked! And since the performances carried on until about 4 a.m. (with sound check beginning the next morning at 9 or 10 a.m.), sleep was not the easiest to come by. But it was so convenient to wake up and pop right out to the festival, or go in for a quick rest between groups. And the festival provided nice showers and really nice toilets, complete with toilet paper, running water and air conditioning! Seriously the nicest portable toilets I have ever seen.
I spent each morning in town at a coffee shop reading my book (I finished the Millenium series; holy moly so good!) and charging up my phone. The bands I actually wanted to watch did not start until around 3 or 5 p.m., and it was way too hot to stay in my tent, so I decided to lounge away the morning and early afternoon in a nice, air conditioned spot. It was also a nice way to relax and retain the little energy I gathered from my nights of fitful sleep. 
After the festival, I got back home around 5 a.m. and had to get up two hours later to get ready and head to work. Luckily I had summer camp, so I only had to teach until noon. After I took a nice nap at my desk before clocking out for the day at 4:30 p.m. Even though I was exhausted, I would absolutely do it again. It was so fabulous to see so many great bands, who I have wanted to watch for a while now! I just love music festivals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment