Sunday, February 2, 2014

Back at It

Hey there blogging world! It's been quite the hiatus for this blog, but not so much for my life! Right around the time of my most recent post (recent being a very loose term here, considering it was back in September!) I went through quite a trying time, and didn't have the heart to dedicate any time to this blog. Due to the very personal nature of this ongoing experience, I won't go into many details. May it suffice to share that I am growing, learning and adapting.  That being said, there is so much to catch up on that I surely won't be able to do it justice. So bear with me as I breeze through the past five months, highlighting the most important details.


Dad's Visit

My amazing father came to the Land of Kimchi to visit his favorite daughter... admit it sister... (don't fret: it's a family joke). I was pleased that Dad was able have a hands-on experience of Korea. I enjoyed sharing some of my favorite Korean food with him and showing off my city. We also traveled to Jeju Island together during the Chuseok holiday (Korea's rough equivalent of Thanksgiving). It was the perfect time, because the weather was sunny and warm, and the crowds were off in their homes, celebrating the holiday with family. Though getting tickets to fly in was a bit of a challenge, even though I booked them back in May! We just ended up flying in style: first class! It was a good bit of fun. We spent three full days on the island, allowing us to explore the best parts. My favorite spot on the island was Seongsan Ilchulbong, also know as Sunrise Peak. It was a beautiful crater towering over the picturesque ocean.We also visited the Manjanggul Tunnels (a series of lava tunnels), the racy Love Land, Cheonjeyeon Falls, a bit more of Seogwipo and hiked Eoseungsaengak. And of course we had to try the famous Black Pork. It was more fat than meat, so not ideal. But still fun to try and pretty tasty overall. I was certainly glad to visit Jeju Island, but once will be enough for a lifetime!
After flying back to Daegu, Dad and I hit up some of the more popular spots in Daegu. We visited Suseong Lake, Seomun Market, Duryu Park and downtown. I had Dad try lots of tasty Korean dishes, including bibimbap, gimbap, kalguksu and of course Korean barbecue and patbingsu! It was heartbreaking when he left, but I was so grateful he made the trek all the way here to visit. His presence was very soothing and rejuvenating!

                                      
DMZ Trip

On November 9, I went to the DMZ with a few friends. It was great finally checking out the spot of such tension. It was quite interesting learning about the history of the area and seeing it first hand. The two flags on each side of the DMZ were a more memorable aspect of the trip. They were subject to a bit of a pissing contest between the divided country. North Korea's flag ultimately rose above, flying on a 525-foot flagpole in Propaganda Village; the South Korean flag flies on a 323-foot flagpole in Daeseongdong. We were able to check out the Joint Security Area, the third infiltration tunnel, Dora Observatory and Dorasan station. I also really enjoyed peaking into North Korea with the telescopes at Dora Observatory. Made me curious as to what life in North Korea is truly like. And very grateful to be living in the South!



                                                         
                             

Christmas and New Year's

I was able to head back to good old California to celebrate Christmas and New Year's. It was an absolute delight to be home, and a much needed respite from Korea. I ate all the foods I love and missed, made up for all the time I hadn't been driving, and most importantly visited with my loved ones! I hit the ground running as soon as I got home and was kept (happily) busy the two weeks I was there. Mom and my sister picked me up from the airport and we went on a bit of a shopping spree on the way home. Next day we had a birthday party, complete with bounce house. Fun! Then several girlfriends came over for a festive champagne brunch of gingerbread house making. Christmas came up quickly! We went to my grandma's for Christmas Eve, did Christmas morning at Mom's, and then headed up to Dad's for Christmas dinner, which was delish. We were able to spend a few days at Dad's house, and then had a lovely dinner at my aunt's with the Sacramento family before returning to Mom's. I was able to meet up with friends for a few different meals, and rang in the New Year with a nice, small group. I wish I had had more time at home, but all good things must come to an end. It was truly a blessing to visit with so many great people! And my tummy and taste buds were thoroughly titillated by all the delicious delights I indulged in. Oh and also...

             
I cut my hair! I've always wanted to donate, and I've had quite a monotonous hairstyle all my life, ranging from just about chin length to the length you'll see in the picture on the left. I've never dyed it or done any type of permanent treatment to it. So I figured I'd give as much of my hair away as I could and play with it as it grows back out. Plus I was curious if I could pull off the buzz cut look. I must say I was pretty pleased with the result. My hair is sure to be a myriad of colors and styles as it grows back out, which I am looking forward to. Monotony no more... or at least not for a while! Also, for anyone else considering donating their locks, may I suggest going with Pantene Pro-V's Beautiful Lengths. I did a bit (emphasis there on a bit) of research, and from what I read, they seem to be one of the better organizations to go with. Here is the link: http://www.pantene.com/en-US/PanteneBeautifulLengths/Details/beautiful-lengths-make-the-cut.aspx

Well thanks for indulging in this brief overview of the last few months of my travels. I also recently journeyed to the Philippines, but I'll be conjuring up a separate post to focus solely on that trip. Heading your way soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment