Sunday, April 6, 2014

Wonderful Weekend

 Last weekend was amazing from start to finish! I spent it with wonderful people and doing lots of fun things. Friday night I met up with my lovely friend Rina for dinner (at Nazar Kebab- love Turkish food!) and catching up. It had been far too long, and I really enjoyed spending time with her and learning what she has been doing and is planning to do. We also enjoyed a tasty bubble tea after dinner and chatted even more. It was a delightful evening!
 Saturday I headed to the jimjilbang (Korean public bath house/sauna) with Jenny and Elizabeth. There is a really nice one fairly close to my house, so it is convenient for me to get to, but I just don't do it often enough. We spent the early afternoon sweating in the co-ed sauna, wearing our fashionable jimjilbang gear, and then soaking in the warm baths. It was incredibly relaxing. We also all got an adjuma scrub down. It was Jenny and Elizabeth's first time! I really love the scrub down and definitely needed it this time! All my old skin was scrubbed off, leaving a smooth layer of soft skin. It felt like I shed my winter coat and am now ready for spring.
 After the jimjilbang we headed downtown to watch the short play, Pirates of Penzance. It was a fun comedy performed by several foreigners in Daegu, a few of whom I know. The show was great and had lots of hilarious cultural references. I was impressed with the talent we have in Daegu and happy to finally see one of their shows. After the show Elizabeth and I went to Nazar Kebab for dinner (seriously, I love this place; that is not the first time I have been two days in a row) and then enjoyed a coffee at my favorite coffee shop in Daegu, Waiting Coffee. We then headed to Traveler's Bar and Grill to hang out with a few other people. 
 I left fairly soon after, because I was headed to a bachata party at Babalu, a salsa club in Daegu. I originally wasn't sure if I wanted to attend the party, because it was 20,000 won, but now I am so glad I went! It was worth every cent. Turned out to be the best night of dancing I've experienced in Korea and is in the top three for best nights of dancing of all time! I am still pumped just thinking about it and wish I could go back and dance even more! Koreans really know how to get down and have such flair and style. And of course, I loved dancing with all of my foreigner friends as well. I wish I could convey how amazing it was, but I just can't find the right words to express it. The bachata party itself lasted til about 3:30 a.m. But we weren't done yet, because we headed to another venue for an after party. I stayed out until 6 a.m., dancing the majority of the time. I would have stayed even longer if I didn't have any plans for Sunday! I had to drag myself home so I could get some sleep. And since the subway was up and running again, it was a cheap way to get home. Seriously so much fun!
 After a brief nap, I was up again to start my Sunday. I went to church and then headed downtown with Elizabeth to grab some dinner. After eating, we did some shopping at H&M. It was a nice day and great to see everyone at church. I headed home and went to bed pretty early, trying to catch up on some sleep. It was a wonderful weekend!
 And seriously, the dancing was incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment