Sunday, November 27, 2011

German Home: Landstuhl 11/24-11/27






This weekend was actually quite long, but ironically I just stayed home! It was a great, relaxing weekend, and I was able to appreciate my little German home, Landstuhl. I spend Thanksgiving day at a church service and potluck with a coworker. It was a great message and there was some good food. So it was a nice holiday overall. But nothing like being home with friends and family (and the stuffing just didn't even compare to my mom's!). Friday I saw Breaking Dawn with another coworker after we had dinner at Macaroni Grill (I had the lasagna like I usually do). It was a fun girls night out. I was pretty pleased with the movie, but some parts of it were just so cheesy! But I've learned not to expect too much from the films, so it was adequate. Saturday I wandered around Landstuhl and visited the castle overlooking the city. It was a surprisingly amazing castle. The structure had tree branches growing through the walls and some of the stone was rubbed away to reveal the sedimentary layers below. It was absolutely beautiful! I actually would rank it as my second favorite castle that I have visited in Europe, after the Prague Castle. And I was able to see the beautiful little town of Landstuhl below. I later went back in to town for the Christmas market. It was a pretty small affair, but had all the basic any Christmas market would need. I at a delicious meat-stuffed potato dumpling smothered in gravy and drank some delicious gluhbier. It is a sibling of gluhwein, a hot, mulled spicy wine. I found the gluhbier tastier, because it was not as strong as the gluhwein and still had the wonderful warming effect!

No comments:

Post a Comment