Sunday, November 20, 2011

Prague 11/19-11/20







Wow, Prague. I fell in love with the city at first sight. And I can't even pinpoint what it is that makes Prague so great, but I would move there in a heart beat if the opportunity presented itself. The city just has a lively, warm vibe that is welcoming to anyone who comes to visit. And it is a mix of the best things of other cities I have visited. A day was definitely not long enough to explore the city, but we made the most of the few hours we had. We started the day with a tour of the underground city. Prague used to be about three or four kilometers lower than it is today and was subject to floods. So when a king dug a moat to protect the city, he killed two birds with one stone and used the removed dirt to raise the city. The houses and streets, which were made mostly of stone, remained bellow and were used as cellars and storage rooms. It was a neat secret to the city that was fun to stumble upon. Following that we had traditional Czech food at the Black Sun Restaurant. The three of us each had a different meal and shared, so we all were able to try a variety of delicious stick-to-your-ribs meals. After our lunch we joined in with a free tour group and saw various highlights of the city. We visited the astronomical clock and Jewish Quarter among other places. But the tour was moving to slowly, so we broke off and went to Prague Castle on our own. On the way to the castle we stumbled upon a Gloria Jean's Coffees. I was so incredibly excited, because it is some of the best coffee in the world and I haven't been to one in so long. I had a delicious chocolate macadamia nut latte that rocked my socks. We then hiked up to the castle. Prague Castle is the most beautiful castle I have ever seen, and quite possibly the most beautiful and magnificent building I have laid eyes on. It was truly breath-taking. The girls and I had a fun photo shoot in front of the castle and then headed back to the rest of the city over Charles Bridge. The bridge itself was also extraordinarily beautiful. Unfortunately we ran out of time to continue exploring and returned to the bus. I would love to return to Prague one day if I have the chance and really get to see the city. It was just a fabulous place!

No comments:

Post a Comment