Saturday, September 29, 2012

Chips and....

Salsa! I've just returned home from my second night of salsaing in Daegu, and I am even more excited than last weekend! The talent in Korea is unreal, and the salsa dancers' skill here far exceeds that of their California counterparts. I am in awe of the magnitude and quantity of the talent I witnessed tonight. Surely everyone at the salsa event must have been dancing for quite some time, because they were astounding! I saw moves I've never seen before, but definitely want to pursue. Even with a mildly embarrassing dip fall, I still had a great night, and I am so pumped up to really improve my salsa skills. I am planning on investing in some real dancing shoes, because my flats just aren't cutting it. And I am hoping to be dancing quite often, so I would love the comfort! Also, I really want to sign up for a salsa club and/or class. The club I went to tonight, Babalu, has lessons on Saturdays taught by foreigners, which is great, because it is in English. But it's all really basic stuff, and I really want a challenge! So language barrier could be problematic with taking a Korean lesson, but dance is all about expressing with your body! Though the basic stuff could be good for a while, because here they do New York style, while I am used to dancing LA style. So I get a little thrown off with the footwork, which is really frustrating, because I basically feel like I am back to square one! Nevertheless, I am looking forward to improving and dancing as much as I can.
Now I need to find a place to go swing dancing and a place that has hip hop dance lessons! I'd love to improve both styles of dance as well, but my focus will certainly be on salsa. And, of course, by salsa I mean salsa, bachata, merengue and (if I have to) cha cha. I am so happy to have such great opportunities in Korea! It's a great way to make the most of my time and get out and meet people. And salsa was a great start to my Chuseok vacation. Though I know the real fun is arriving around 11:30 a.m. tomorrow. I am so very excited that Shanna is coming to visit. It is going to be a blast and absolutely ridiculous!

1 comment:

  1. "And, of course, by salsa I mean salsa, bachata, merengue and (if I have to) cha cha"---my sentiments exactly! When guys ask to dance a cha cha song, I find myself replying "I'm really bad at it and I don't really like it" and it usually works!
    WHats Chuseok??
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete