Thursday, October 27, 2011

Frankfurt 10/22-10/23





This weekend was a nice mix of fun and exciting and chill and relaxing. Saturday was a leisurely day of walking around and visiting the various sites, mostly churches, in Frankfurt. I bought a really cute ring from a street vendor who bent metal into different types of jewelry. He was really impressed by my metal earrings from Paris and tried to figure out how they were made. He kept touching them and marveling. It was pretty comical. After a short nap at the hostel, we woke up for the hostel's free pasta party and got some free dinner. It was bland and tasted a little watered down, but most importantly it was free so still good! We then went on a pub crawl organized by a group in Frankfurt. It was a good deal, because our entry was covered to each of the four clubs. But it should have been called a pub marathon, because each of the clubs were about five or more blocks apart... something my heel-clad feet did not appreciate. We started out in a salsa club, which of course set me in a great mood. It was so much fun getting in a little salsa, bachata and merengue. Then we walked all the way to our second club... more of a chill lounge area with thumping techno music. The third club was a sweaty, steamy mass of people shuffling to techno. The final club was my favorite and the perfect place to end. It was a good mix of techno and hip hop with a large dance floor and an exuberant crowd. I thoroughly enjoyed getting my ghetto dance on! Sunday we went to the German Cinematography museum, which is probably the coolest museum I have ever been to. It was such a comprehensive museum and had examples of cameras, costumes, lighting and every component that goes in to film over its lifespan. There was even an Academy Award and a prop Darth Vader mask that special effects artists referenced for lighting purposes. My favorite part of the museum was a set of four large TV screens that different movie clips were projected on simultaneously and one at a time. It was a total movie experience, which is what movies are really about, and brought together threads of similarities between different films. I could have sat there all day. But we eventually left and got some lunch. I was thrilled to have some Pho, because I have been craving it for a while. Sadly it was not as good as the Pho I've had at home, but it was still warm and tasty. We wrapped up the weekend by stopping at the Kaiserslautern festival on our way home. It wasn't really that exciting, because I have already been to so many German festivals and they are all so similar. But I did get some delicious chocolate-covered pineapple, so it wasn't a total loss. The evening was wrapped up with a Doner Kebab for dinner, a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment