Sunday, October 2, 2011

Heidelberg 10/01-10/02






I want to move to Heidelberg after spending Saturday there. It has been my favorite German city that I have visited so far. Heidelberg reminded me a lot of Brugge with its cobblestone streets and the river running through the city, but the architecture wasn't quite as cute. We visited Heidelberg Castle, which I actually enjoyed more than Neuschwanstein. It had more of a rustic feel and actually had crumbling walls. I liked that it was still standing even though part of it was in ruin. And there were beautiful, massive gardens surrounding the castle. The walls encasing the castle stretched out to the best view of the city down below. It was a gorgeous expanse of buildings cut in the middle by a large river filled with boats and straddled by bridges. After the castle we meandered around the city's market square and popped into stores along the way. We discovered a place that made a large variety of liqueurs, including a hazelnut (I love that so many things are hazelnut, and for that matter, blueberry flavored, because they are so good) liqueur that was on sale. It was absolutely delicious, so I bought a bottle! While walking down the main street, a herd of zombies edged their way through the crowd. It was totally unexpected, but so much fun! I loved the vibe of the moment, and it just made me like the young, hip, relaxed feel of the city.
Sunday was the best one I've spent while in Germany. I took a solo trip down to Landstuhl and wandered around the city taking pictures. It was the first time I've really gotten to explore my German hometown, so i really enjoyed getting a feel for the place I live in. I finally got to try this bakery, Barbarossa, that is at the end of "Cardiac Hill" (the steep hill that connects the post to Landstuhl, which is about a 15 to 20 minute walk). Every time I've passed by it has been crowded with people teeming out with delicious looking treats. I had the best pastry of my life. It was like a croissant, bear claw and baklava all rolled into one with only the best parts of each. And the best part about it was that it was only about $1.25, making it one of the cheapest items in the joint (which conveniently is a chain bakery, so I have access to these magnificent treats while on the road). After trekking back up Cardiac Hill, I headed to church on post for the Protestant service. It was the first time I've been to church since being here, and I absolutely loved it. The service and worship weren't anything spectacular, but it just felt so wonderful to be back in His presence. It was a fabulous, relaxing, fulfilling weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment