Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Wine Tasting in Piedmont







What a fantastic weekend! The wine tasting was my favorite trip so far in Italy. We met so many great people and tried some delicious wines. We were in the Piedmont region, specifically in Novara. Our first stop was the Rovellotti Winery. We tried a white wine, two reds and a dessert wine. They were all delicious! My favorite was the white. We also had bread, salami and cheese with the wine. And risotto. Oh.My.Goodness. The risotto was absolutely delicious! It is definitely the best thing I have eaten in Italy and one of the best things I have consumed throughout my life. Our second winery was Castaldi Francesca. The woman who owned, appropriately named Francesca, the winery is part of the whole process. She works with her product from the grape to the bottled vino. We also had snacks and tried a white, two reds and a dessert. Her wines were also quite tasty.
Our tour guide was really awesome. Her name was Elena. She was a funny little Italian lady and told us all about the area. We also had a man, Paolo, join us to discuss all of the wines. But Elena never really let him get a word in, so he was basically just a cool old guy trying some wines with us. He rode a motorcycle, so I asked him for a quick ride up and down the street. It was pretty fun. Paolo sat next to me in the first winery, so I was actually able to hear what he had to say about the wines. It was fun to get a connoisseur's opinion on the wines and taste the subtleties he noticed in the wines. It was a learning experience and helped me to gain a greater appreciation for wine. I'm just so excited that my first wine tasting was in Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment