Thursday, October 11, 2012

So ExPSYted


I saw Psy perform live!

  

Stadium food... actually quite cheap!

I went with no ticket, no time and a sliver of hope, but I managed to get in to the opening ceremony of Daegu's 93rd National Sports Festival. The festival is one of (if not the) biggest festivals that Daegu puts on, and this year's opening ceremony featured a concert by none other than the fabulous Psy. It was amazing! I loved the whole experience, and I mostly loved that I was able to experience it at all. I stumbled across information about Psy performing from a facebook group only two days ago, so I scrambled to get as much information as I could. Kudos to the Internet and facebook, because I was able to find out everything I needed about the event, including time, location and the free shuttle buses. And I also learned that all the tickets my gu (similar to district) was handing out were gone, and that I likely wouldn't make it on time to get in. But even with no ticket and the slimmest chance I would even arrive before the gates were closed, I decided to venture out and give it a try. I mean, it was a chance to see Psy perform live for free! You just can't throw in the towel for that until you do anything you can to make it.
I rushed out of my office as soon as the bell struck 4:30 p.m. and power walked to the Metro stop, determined and on a mission. I traveled past 9 stations to reach the interchange to get on line 2, where I traveled another 10 stops. Originally I was only going to travel 8 and catch a city bus to the stadium, but moments before getting to that stop, I saw two groups of Koreans pull out their tickets and discuss the shuttle bus location. I only really understood, because I had read the name of the shuttle buss point prior, but I wasn't confident about catching the shuttle until I saw them planning to go. And good thing I did wait, and that I got there when I did! As I stood in line waiting for the shuttle, my excitement was growing, because it was seeming more and more likely. Apparently the 5:30 p.m. shutting of the gates, was not observed, thankfully for me and countless other attendees. As I shuffled along in line, I remembered a tiny detail... I had no ticket. What to do, what to do?! Hello Korean man to my left, do you happen to have an extra ticket? And like that, my entrance was possible! God was definitely on my side and hooked it up. The man gave me an extra ticket he had with no hesitation. It was amazing. I thought he would be the first in an long line of many people I would have to beg for a spare ticket. Turns out, the man (my ticket friend) was their with his friend from church that has an English service and a group of about 100 or so foreigners. I was really excited to hear about that, because I haven't come across detailed information about English services here yet. So I plan to check out the church as soon as I am in Daegu on a Sunday, which should actually be pretty soon.
But anyway, to the main event. I shoved my way on to a crowded shuttle bus and arrived at the marvelous Daegu Stadium. Once inside I grabbed some concession stand treats (a meat stick, popcorn and water, all for only about $4!) and searched for a seat. I lucked out again and got an aisle seat, though it was pretty far from the stage. But I was just happy to be inside the stadium. The opening ceremonies were really beautiful, and included a light show, fireworks, the lighting of the torch and the singing of the national anthem. I realized that was the first time I had heard Korea's national anthem, so it was pretty moving, and I kind of teared up a little. Most of the time I had no idea what was going on, but I clapped and cheered with the crowd and just took in the general splendor. I was so happy to be a part of such a hugely important festival, because I really felt a sense of experiencing the culture.
Of course everyone's favorite part of the evening was when Psy came on stage. I don't know who was more excited, me, the little kids behind me or the adjumas. It was great fun watching Psy perform and watching the crowd's reaction. My favorite part of the evening was when Psy sang gangnam style and I danced it with the rest of the crowd. It was so awesome to dance to a real, live version of the song! After Psy performed, the evening was wrapped up with a beautiful fireworks show. 
Then I had to get home. It was intensely crowded and people were only looking out for number one. I felt bad for the police, because it was a huge crowd to deal with. But after about 40 minutes of waiting in a line that constantly swayed from side to side as intruders pushed their way in from either side of the line, I was able to get on a shuttle bus and make it to the subway. Overall it took me about two hours to get home, but it was totally worth it. I'm so glad I didn't give up before I tried, and that my ticket friend was awesome enough to give me a ticket! It really worked out well and was a great night to experience Korean culture.




No comments:

Post a Comment