Friday, March 23, 2012

Florence 03/17-03/19







Dad joined me in Italy, and we headed off to Florence (after waiting a couple of hours for his lost luggage to arrive on another flight!) We got in town and to our hostel, Hostel Santi 7, around 9 pm, so we just showered and tucked in for the night. The hostel was huge! It used to be a convent and was attached to a church, which still has services. It was a pretty sweet place to stay, and kinda fun to say I've slept in a convent. The next day we woke up early and headed in to Florence to check it out. Our first stop was the Duomo. It was so big and gorgeous! I really liked the church a lot. It reminded me a little of the Taj Mahal, because of the colors and materials. Then we headed down to a few other sites and to the Galleria dell'Accademia. I saw Michelangelo's David! It was so cool to see another famous piece of art. I loved getting a 360 degree view, because you don't usually see all of David's angles. We weren't supposed to take pictures, but I sneaked two in before I was told to put my camera away.
My stomach was acting really weird, so we headed back to the hostel where I proceeded to enjoy a two-hour nap. It was so Italian getting our riposo in. Later we headed to other areas in Florence, eating some tasty gelato on the way. We had dinner at a restaurant called Osteria de' Peccatonri. Dad got some spaghetti, and I had a delicious gnocchi with speck, pine nuts and a decadent cream sauce. Every bite I took was so good.
Our last morning in Florence, we headed up to Piazzale Michelangelo for some great panoramic views of the city. It was really a good vantage point and an excellent spot for pictures. When we got back to the hostel we rested for about an hour, and then caught a train to Pisa.

No comments:

Post a Comment