Saturday, March 31, 2012

Rome 03/22/12-03/24/12







Rome was a great time! I really loved the city and all of the beautiful sites. We stayed at the Mama Mia Bed and Breakfast. It was in a nice apartment complex in a really cute neighborhood near Piazza Vittorio Emanuele, but breakfast wasn't included. Go figure. There was, however, an excellent little pizza joint up the street, Pizzeria Yok, that served up some very tasty slices. The B&B was also only about a 10 minute walk away from the Colosseum. It was definitely our first stop! It was so epic to see the Colosseum in person. I can't even imagine what it would have been like in its heyday, though I'm sure it would have smelled awful. The nearby Palatine Hill was so gorgeous and green and lush. I also really loved the Trevi Fountain and threw in two coins.  The first to return to Rome, and the second for a wish. It may have been my favorite spot in the whole city. The Spanish Steps were also a great spot. And there was a gelato place right outside of the Metro stop for the steps, which had such good ice cream. Their pistachio gelato was the best pistachio ice cream I have ever had. Of course we also went to Vatican City and saw St. Peter's Basilica. It was HUGE. I mean gigantic. And so ridiculously adorned with paintings and statues and gold. I could spend every hour of the rest of my life there and never see every detail. It is something that has to be experienced to understand how vast it really is.
Also, the nightlife in Rome was a good time. I went on Rome's Ultimate Bar Hop and met some really great people. Basically half of the people there were from California, which was weird, but excellent. The crawl started at the Highlander Pub and headed to another bar and a club. It was a fun experience overall, and I really didn't want to leave Rome.

No comments:

Post a Comment