Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Athens 04/04/12






I didn't have a whole lot of time in Athens. But I saw what I wanted to see, so it worked out well. I arrived around 8:30 a.m. local time (1 hour ahead of Albania) and was happy to be able to check in to my hostel right away. I dropped my things off, showered (I needed it after that 14 hour bus ride!) and ventured out. My first stop was an outdoor market a street over and two streets up from my hostel, Athens International Youth Hostel- Victor Hugo. Can I just say, I absolutely love markets! The food is so fresh and so cheap. I should have just been shopping at them the whole time I've been traveling. It's a cheaper, healthier way to eat than constantly dining at restaurants (although I do enjoy a nice sit-down meal as well). I bought eggs, bell peppers, zucchini, onion and mushrooms to make a fabulous omelet, as well as strawberries and bananas. After taking the food back to my room, I ventured back out to the Acropolis. I went to the Acropolis Museum first, which was a good idea, because I was able to see what the area looked like before it was ruins. Then I headed up to the Acropolis. I was able to see it as it stands now and visualize what it might have looked like in ancient times. The Parthenon was so excellent, and the hill was a great vantage point for terrific views of the city. After a short break at a cafe for a snack and drink, I headed to the Olympic grounds. The area had a neglected feel, and wasn't all that impressive. But a huge tunnel of arching metal was quite nice. After that I headed back to the hostel to relax. I was so exhausted from the epic bus journey! After crafting my delicious, fresh omelet, I headed back to the Acropolis to check it out at night. It was nothing special, but still glad I saw it. On the way back to my hostel, I picked up some baklava. Wow! It was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment