Sunday, April 1, 2012

Zadar 03/30/12-03/31/12






I didn't really know what to expect from Zadar, but I really loved it. It was such a beautiful, relaxing place. The old town was definitely seeable in a day, which was perfect, because that was all the time I had. But I would have loved to have stayed in the area longer, because Zadar is very close to several gorgeous national parks. But the city itself was nice. The old town is a small area, but it is filled with so many treasures. There were several churches and interesting buildings. And a lot of random ruins. It was so great, because the ruins were in huge plazas where people just sat and relaxed. I also stumbled across an In & Out and met a girl, Carmen, from Sacramento. My California roots followed me all the way to Croatia! I had a burger at In & Out, and obviously it wasn't the real deal (I mean it's a & not an N' after all). But it was still very tasty. The bun was so good! Carmen and I also shared a good meal at a restaurant called Konoba Stomorica. An accordion player and guitar player serenaded us with song as we dined in the nautical-themed restaurant. We decided to share our meals, so we had veal with gnocchi and squid ink risotto. Both dishes were very tasty. We also enjoyed two desserts and the local brew. It was a nice meal, and I really enjoyed having someone to spend the evening with. It's been great setting my own pace and going everywhere I want to go, but traveling alone does get lonely from time to time. But I probably wouldn't have met so many people, so it's not too bad! My favorite part of my time in Zadar was most certainly watching the sunset at the salutation to the sun and sea organ. The salutation to the sun was a huge circle of lights that lit up right as the sun set. There were also other smaller circles that did the same. All were dedicated to astronomical aspects, such as the planets. It was so gorgeous to see the pink and orange of the sky paired with the shifting of colors all over the visible spectrum in the circle. It was located at the corner of the huge concrete pier/beach. Sadly, the sandy beach of the city was destroyed by bombs during WWII. But the people of the city changed the tragedy into something beautiful. They built a giant sea organ. As the waves (more like wakes from boats, because it is in a bay) hit the sea organ and push air through it, different notes are created. The melody is always changing with the ocean and is just such a cool thing! Overall, it was probably the most beautiful sunset I have ever experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment